SEARCH

Con la tecnología de Blogger.

jueves, 1 de marzo de 2018

Donald Trump replaces Michelle Obama’s ‘Let’s Move’ program with executive order pushing team sports

President Donald Trump just threw out another program instituted by former First Lady Michelle Obama — needless to say, she won’t be happy.

Trump opted to ditch the executive order of his predecessor, former President Barack Obama, earlier this week, when he rolled back Michelle Obama’s national “Let’s Go” exercise program that promoted physical fitness among young Americans.

In its place, Trump is asking America’s youth to get involved with local team sports.

“Let’s Go” is Gone

“Good health, including physical activity and proper nutrition, supports Americans’, particularly children’s, wellbeing, growth, and development,” Trump wrote in his executive order, which went into effect on Feb. 27. “Participating in sports allows children to experience the connection between effort and success, and it enhances their academic, economic, and social prospects. ”

The president, who was a three-sport varsity athlete in high school at New York Military Academy, also observed that team sports can also help young people to develop leadership skills that may aid them throughout their lives.

“Many of America’s leaders attribute their lifetime achievements to lessons learned through sports participation and athletic activity,” the order continued. “Additionally, youth sports help working parents and guardians by providing their children opportunities to engage in productive, positive activities outside of school.”

Trump also observed that participation in team sports has been on the decline — especially among young girls and in economically deprived neighborhoods. He wrote:

Unfortunately, during the past decade youth participation in team sports has declined. As of 2016, only 37 percent of children played team sports on a regular basis, down from 45 percent in 2008. Particularly troubling is that sports participation disproportionately lags among young girls and children who are from economically distressed areas.

This national strategy shall focus on children and youth in communities with below-average sports participation and communities with limited access to athletic facilities or recreational areas.

Second Major Blow

The “Let’s Go” program is the second program associated with the previous first lady that the Trump administration has dumped since the president took office more than a year ago. In 2017, Trump’s Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue threw out Michelle Obama’s stringent school lunch program rules, which resulted in as much food being tossed as consumed.

“This announcement is the result of years of feedback from students, schools, and food service experts about the challenges they are facing in meeting the final regulations for school meals,” Perdue said in a statement. “If kids aren’t eating the food, and it’s ending up in the trash, they aren’t getting any nutrition — thus undermining the intent of the program.”

Replacing “Let’s Go” with a push toward team sports earned the enthusiastic approval of John Engh, executive director of the National Alliance for Youth Sports.

“We definitely support the whole concept,” Engh said. “Team sports plays a huge role in the development of kids today.”

It seems that President Trump has similar goals as the former first lady — he wants to keep America’s kids healthy and active — but his execution is set up to be much more successful than the orders put in place by the Obama administration.


SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR THE PRESIDENT AND FIGHT THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA BY SHARING NOW.